7.08.2011

Budapest

Another hassle crossing borders today. I guess they assume every van with dirty dudes in it is smuggling drugs. This time they did actually check the gear in the back, and individually searched all our bags, asking each of us if we had any drugs, but still found nothing but dirty clothes. I understand that it's their job to stifle the trafficking of drugs and illegal substances into their respective countries, but dude...if you ask an actual drug smuggler, "do you have any drugs?" do you really think they're gonna respond, "yes, I'm carrying [insert name and quantity of illegal drug here], I'll happily confess to smuggling it, and hand all of it over, and hope that you are lenient." ...morons. If I wanted to smuggle drugs in or out of your country a) I wouldn't tell you, and b) I wouldn't cross the border in a big ass van with 7 other dudes. We figured they didn't search the inside of the van long because of the dude stench you get wafted with the second you open the door.

When we arrived in Budapest, we were greeted by a sweet venue setup, as well as a fully, and deliciously, catered meal, complete with a cake, topped with a message on top about city of ships and Rosetta (I'll try to post pictures of it later).




The show was fantastic. I couldn't actually see the crowd while playing (except when the lighting guy used the strobe, but that simultaneously made me sick) which sorts bummed me out, but we played 2 encores, and people seemed really stoked about everything. After we played, we had sandwiches waiting for us, along with that amazing cake...which was absolutely delicious. I wish I could remember the caterers name, but she was a real sweetheart, and all of us wanted to take her with us, thank you Budapest, you're f**king incredible.

We're staying at the promoters apartment, it's incredibly cozy, and of course, I'm always the one to get exiled because I snore big manly (like a bear apparently) snores. We're setting alarms for 10am tomorrow so we can get up, out, and actually be able to see some of the city before we leave, which is somewhat of a rarity when on tour.

I think this is sort of a misconception when people who aren't in touring bands (or not in a band at all) think of tour as just a vacation. On a vacation you sightsee, you travel, and you tour hotspots and places of significance, etc. On tour with a band, however, you rarely get to see anything except the van, outside the window of the van, the truck stops, and the venue, unless you're lucky enough to have a short drive the next day, or you sacrifice sleep, you're unlikely to get to see some of the wonders of the cities you're playing in.

Vienna tomorrow.

No comments: