4.29.2021

After a long and frustrating year...

    This blog, in all honesty, was completely forgotten about. If I hadn’t kept myself busy with learning new things, and perusing other hobbies during COVID-quarantine, I probably would have returned here and actually written something. As it is, my last post was from 2016, I hope to update on a few things and not ramble on too much.

    If I’m updating from 2016, there’s a lot to catch up on. Most exciting is I got married, and most recent news is, I will be a father in July. It’s a boy, and I am equal parts nervous and excited. Secondly, Rosetta is still in the process of writing a new record. We were lucky enough to not have any tours planned when the world shut down, but it has significantly blurred our timeline for writing/releasing the record into something that we are working to solidify this year (2021). We have about 90% of the record written, and expecting to have the last 10% this year. The fuzzy part of the timeline comes in when we talk about how we are going to get together in the same room and tighten up everything. We’ve always written our records in person, and I think it’s a crucial part of the sound is being able to stand in a room with each other and play (either rhythmically or melodically) off of each other, as well as give immediate input to something that’s working, or not. With the vaccine rolling out, and hopefully all of you are planning on getting it, the whole band will be vaccinated soon, which means we can start planning for a get-together and actually write.

    I also recently updated my website (www.BruceMcMurtrie.com) with a video reel and portfolio video and audio. If you follow me on instagram, twitter, or facebook, you’ll have already seen it. I am still working at Starbucks. It was my solid foundation while I was not on tour with Rosetta, but since COVID shutdown, there has been no touring, so it’s been my saving grace. Starbucks actually (despite what some will post online) has taken care of their employees really well throughout the shutdown, and subsequent transition from all out quarantine to things opening up again. I was off work for three months, and still got paid in full, and when we went back to work, great measures were taken to ensure out safety. Some things we’ve changed seem like they’re rushing to fully open, and are more geared towards making customers happy. There have been pay increases, and even a choice to take a ‘leave of absence’ till they feel more comfortable to come back after a time. Overall, a frustrating time, but we’re doing better than some others.

    Over the last year I’ve also been taking it upon myself to learn animation (of both the 2D and 3D variety). I’ve written a number of stories and scripts and finalized on a story about a coffee shop. It started as a way to tell stories about working at Starbucks, and as it progressed into character design, and eventually storyboarding, I realized that I had strayed from the original idea into something a little more interesting, and more universal to viewers (I hope). So, instead of just inside jokes and stories from baristas, it’s instead a story about a disgruntled barista who...accidentally summons a demon, befriends him, and they go on adventures.

    So, to leave you at a TL:DR - Got married, having a kid, new Rosetta record out in a year or so, doing okey dokey. 

    Hopefully I’ll start updating this more in the future, especially now that I’m trying to get my cartoon up and running. I was possibly going to do a kickstarter to get funding to actually pay for the cartoon, but I’m always hesitant of doing crowd funding, even though I’ve never actually done it.

No comments: