8.07.2015

Cakovec, Vienna, & Brutal Assault Fest

Cakovec (pronounced 'choc-o-vets') is hot as hell. Probably not as humid as Philly  right now, but still pretty awful. My face turns redder with every wipe of my hand or a towel (I'm starting to just blot), but people seem excited about the show. 

Every night I've tried and placed the GoPro camera in a different spot so that after we get home, I'll make some sort of music video or tour video or something. I'll wait till I get home to figure it out. 
--
The house we stayed at was crazy huge and nice. There's no air conditioning, but Matt says, "sleeping in warmer temperatures builds your hear tolerance." Even if that's true, I'd rather have an air conditioner or a fan on me at all times. 

Our host proceeded to dazzle us with everything locally grown and harvested. He had cheese, tomatoes, boar meat, pumpkin seed oil, wines, spirits, etc.. He also made us eggs and coffee the next morning for breakfast. 
--
I was finally able to change some money at a Slovenian currency exchange. I changed $15.00 to €12,50. I can finally pay for the bathroom in Germany (which is usually around €0,50, and buy my own water and snacks. I also found a new monster energy drink I'd never seen before called "The Doctor"
I didn't get it, because I had not yet changed money. 

On our way to Vienna today. 
--
After a short hop through Slovenia, we're into the countryside of Austria. 
--
The show was as hot as predicted. I stole a fan from one of the bartenders to put behind the drums with me, but it wasn't very powerful, but it did the job. Afterwards, I talked a bit with Bernhard (of MBNpodcast fame)

We stayed at a hostel, but only for a short while, since we had to be back on the road at 5am to get to Czech for brutal assault fest. Apparently, there is some sort of interview or 'meet-and greet' thing before we play, but I don't know how well that'll go over. Our time slot is at 1pm on the "Jaegermeister" stage, and after we play, we'll probably all want to go to the hotel and just sleep forever. 
A beautiful Austrian morning. 
--
Brutal assault fest far exceeded anything we could have imagined in awesomeness. The sheer level of professionalism and organization put into something like this, it's really awesome for a band to show up, and people actually have their s**t together. 
The only weirdness is that they spelled our band name wrong on the backstage passes, but luckily not on the posters or anything else, so it's completely forgiven. 

We did a 'meet-and-greet' before we played, which I initially thought was going to be extremely lame, but turned out to be pretty great to just directly meet fans before we play, shake hands, sign some stuff, and take some pictures. The security for everything was crazy too. People checking passes at every turn, security at the food stations making sure doink publishers weren't allowed in the backstage, and someone watching our personal items in the dressing room while we're away. The greatest part about all the security (which normally would be a huge hassle and headache) was that everyone was super nice, and just there to make sure everything ran as needed, and making sure people just had a good time, while just doing a good job. 

I'm normally super bummed on playing festivals, but mostly cause they're crappily run and disorganized. If I could play festivals just like brutal assault all the time, that would be amazing. 

Secondary to the amazing hospitality, though, is how many people we actually got to play for. 
It was absolutely insane, and such an adrenaline rush. When I can get on stage and actually be nervous about it, that's when it's cool, because I'll have fun at all times while playing a show, but rarely do I ever get nervous. This show had my stomach doing hoola-hoops the whole time. 
--
The down side to all this is that I'm extremely tired, hot, and gross. Armine and I skipped out early to go to the hotel to shower and sleep, but, just like the hotel in Sibenik, only the lobby has air conditioning. Super sad face. This time there's no fan too, and to make matters worse, the room internet isn't working, so now I'm sitting in the lobby of the hotel in the air conditioning writing this before I head up to our mildly breezy sweat box to hopefully get some semblance of sleep. 







No comments: