8.06.2015

Sibenik, the best day ever.

This post won't have a lot of pictures, because the morning after Uho fest, we went to the beach, and went swimming in the Adriatic, and I left my phone behind in the van. The water was cold and beautiful the beach was a bit course and rocky, but once you're in the water, it just feels amazing. I was able to wash my show clothes as well, which the rest of the dudes were happy about. 

On a little bit of a deeper note, I had a nice reflective moment yesterday while watching Merchandise play. I don't know them personally, but as I watched them play, and interact with each other on stage, it made me think about our goofiness on tour, and our inside jokes, and weird stage faced and mannerisms with each other. It's like a traveling family. However, as I watched them play, I also watched the crowd, and how they interacted with the band. Of course, every show is different, and especially every country/city/town is different, but the one thing that ties most crowds together, unless they include other dudes/ladies in bands, is that they don't understand what it is we go through on a daily basis. 

This one day on the beach puts a lot of things in rather harsh perspective, coupled with our previous show in Sarajevo. We trekked the Bosnian Forrest to play a show for people who only 20 years ago were running for their lives, exiled from their home country, and are treated like royalty. And then, we drive to Sibenik, and we see the ocean, and drive up a castle, and were treated like royalty again, just in a different way. 

My point being, that people will come out to a show, listen, dance, or they'll interact with the band either at the show or online, but they don't really understand this crazy roller coaster that is out loves on tour. Most people at home won't understand the sheer joy of playing an instrument in front of a full crowd of screaming people, and the crazy idea of just chilling and swimming the day after, only to pack yourself back in a van, and drive on for 3 to 6 hours to the next show, which will be a completely different experience. 

I may have started rambling at some point, or lost track of my topic somewhere in the middle, or if you followed along with that, well done. My point, I think, is that no one really understands the ever changing, awe inspiring, ever adolescent experience that is being in a touring band until you go and tour in a band. Yes, it has its downsides. You're often dirty, sweaty, underfed, underpaid, and extremely tired, but, unless you're someone like BeyoncĂ©, Kanye west, or a band like Aerosmith, this is s labor of love, and sounds glamorous, but is in no way that, except for those very few incredibly beautiful days, like this one. 

...also, I think my face got a little sun burnt. 

No comments: