4.21.2009

The epic death of my iPhone, and how I will get a new one.

...long story short, my iPhone died and I'm going to either get it fixed, or get a new one tomorrow afternoon.

...long story long...

I only got the my iPhone a month or so ago, and I was stoked. I now had my email, twitter, my blog, some cool games, linked in, and even had access to google calendar (which I need so badly cause I used to be so horrible with scheduling and such).

Yesterday (Monday, April 20th, 2009) it was working quite perfectly. I checked my mail, updated my twitter, surfed teh intarwebs, and even played a couple games and took photos. I plugged in my iPhone to my home stereo positioned near my bed for some nightly tunes. I let it play the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' trilogy soundtrack all through the night. I have to say, I had some pretty interesting dreams that night too. Anyway, when I awoke the next morning, I got up, stopped my iPhone playing the music, went to the home screen to check mail, twitter, etc. and all applications would display the start/loading screen, and then crash. I did it a couple times, and the only application that would work was the built-in safari browser. I restarted it two times (using the 2-button, wait-five-seconds-and-reboot thing) and nothing changed.

Then I think to myself "well, maybe a restore from iTunes would fix this problem, even though it'll wipe my iPhone's memory, it'll be nice to at least have it working again, then I'll just load the apps on again." silly me, that didn't work either. That just gives me error messages and tells me that my iPhone is corrupted and cannot be restored.



This made me sad.

So I went through the day at work sans-iPhone and hopefully I'll be able to stop by the apple store tomorrow after work and have them fix it, or just give me a new one.

/sigh...oh woe is me. I get attached to it, and that's when it fails me. Ah, technology.

Edit: turns out the reason my iPhone went brokity-broke was I had to update drivers on my motherboard for the rear usb ports I connected my iPhone to. Problem solved once they reset my iPhone at the Apple store and then downloaded updated drivers. Still doesn't explain why my iPhone errored in the first place by crashing all the applications. Who knows.

No comments: