7.29.2012

Matt Cook & The Americans

Scarce wifi once out of Perth, but having fun. We got to Brisbane and felt totally blown and ready to sleep for weeks. We met up with City Of Ships at Sun Distortion (Lochlan's studio/ house/ venue).


Matt spent his time once we got there modding the TSL head were borrowing for the tour. I setup the drums and messed about with them for a while.


Eventually we were all up and ready for some coffee. We took a walk to a regular place Lochlan goes to and it was awesome. I got a 'flat white' with soy, which is basically a cafe olé or a 'misto' to the Americans. As we left I ended up getting a brownie that shared with Armine. It was delicious.


We went shipping and got accoutrements to make some pizzas. Andrew from City Of Ships was totally stoked for it.





The show was packed and a lot of fun. The drums moved around a bit on me just because the stage gave in in a few places as the drums were hit, and I couldn't hear my kick drum at all, but still, it was fun and nice seeing dudes we haven't seen since the 2008 tour.





After the show everyone was totally spent, and very not looking forward to the 12-13 hour drive we had to make that night to Sydney. We made it about an hour out of Brisbane before the driver of the Australian van got tired, while our driver, Matt, was jazzed after drinking 1 1/2 red bulls. We slept at a truck stop, though I was not tired in the least, and couldn't stand sitting in the van not sleeping. I hopped out and sat at a picnic table on my iPad playing magic: the gathering for about 2 hours.


Eventually everyone was awake and ready for the next leg. We still had about 90% of the drive left to go, so it would be quite brutal.


First thing, we stopped off at an Aldi to get some breakfast. The cheapest thing to do was just to get sandwich fixin's. Matt Cook got a giant bag of celery.


We then went to the beach and hungout for a bit. It was a beautiful morning.







We finally made it to Sydney. The drive was long and arduous, and we had to instantly truck all our gear out 2 blocks from the vans. The show had 7 bands on it and it seemed to be well attended. I fell asleep on the floor back stage, having not slept the night before.


Matt woke me up right before we had to play. I got up, changed into show clothes (which were still wet from the night before), and had to then try and customize yet another new kit on stage. The kit ended up sounding and feeling great, all except for the ride/floor tom stand on my right, which kept turning the top towards me as I played. I messed up a couple times because of that, getting my stick caught on my ride cymbal while playing the floor tom. Overall, it was a really nice show. It was well attended, people were stoked, and the sound was great (I could actually hear myself and guitar/bass).


We stayed at the apartment of a dude from one of the bands that played last night. It's a really nice open place, and I was also able to let my show clothes dry on the balcony overnight.





We got to sleep in a bit this morning, and I was able to take a shower and I feel great. Dave and Matt went shopping and got breakfast to cook. We had eggs, veggies, toast, bacon, crisps (or potato chips for the Americans), and it was delicious.


We're now sitting having an Internet party listening to hip-hop in the living room waiting to drive to Wollongong.


No comments: