8.03.2012

Veggie parm & the Geelong goonbags

On our drive to Melbourne, Matt Cook put on the Ricky Gervaise podcast. It was hard to get into at first, but the more we listened, the stupider and funnier it got. It made me think, when we get home from tour, I want to attempt a podcast with Armine and our friend Jesse. We'll talk about music, movies, comics, news, and all kinds of stupid s**t. I'll try to organize it, we'll see what the response is, and I guess gauge if we should continue on from there. I'd like to do it mostly cause it'll be a fun time sitting and chatting with those dudes.





The show in Melbourne was incredibly fun. Matt Cook was doing sound for the show, and coincidentally, it was the first night I could hear everything on stage. We also got stage dives from the crowd, although pretty much all the stage dived were performed by one dude, we got stage dives none the less.


We stayed at Nate's (the drummer from Nuclear Summer) ex-girlfriends house. The place was super setup. There were beds made up, I was able to take a shower, and even do some laundry.


In the morning we got the wifi password and had an Internet party.



I also found some nice coffee and a French press and went to town. There was some hot chocolate mix stowed in the pantry as well, so Armine was happy.


Dave kept talking about this awesome vegetarian restaurant in Melbourne called 'Lord of the Fries'. We went out to lunch there, and I got the chicken parm burger with fries.



It was delicious. Their menu was amazing, and everything on it was vegetarian.






A woman approached us while we were sitting and asked if we were from Rosetta. I responded by nodding, pointing at me and then to Matt and Armine sitting in the corner. She introduced herself as the editor of 'Heavy' magazine, and then handed us a copy of their last two issues. She then said that her contact information was inside, and we should send her an email to setup an interview. That was pretty cool.


It's about an hour drive to Geelong, so we left a little later due to the fact that we didn't want to spend a whole ton of time before the show there. Driving in, it seems like a nice quaint town.





The venue seems pretty neat. The actual room we're playing in is at the back called, 'the groove room'.



Dave and I went next door to get some coffee. It was good. It seems the less we try to find good coffee, the more sweet coffee places fall into our laps. There was a pretty neat card they had setup on the counter.



Lochlan also showed up with a giant bag of chips (French fries, about $10 worth he said), and they were consumed quickly.


The opening local is a band called 'goonbag colostomy'. A 'goonbag' in Australia apparently is slang for a really cheap silver bag of wine. We first saw one when we met up with City Of Ships in Brisbane. They had heard of it, and went and got one the first day.





Went to a sushi place. It was too expensive for a tour budget, but the prices were unbelievably lower than those in the US. I think I might go for a $2 cheeseburger at McDonalds after the show or something. I just need some food, and all I have left from my supermarket food stores are condiments. Mustard, hummus, peanut butter, and very little jam.


The goonbag colostomy band (as of writing this) have been playing for about 30 minutes, have only played 1 1/2 songs, and as far as I can tell, only two chords.


I said to Matt, "this is how I imagine a goonbag colostomy would feel." he responded, "well, if you're only gonna play one chord, at least they chose a good one." With the exception of the drummer (who has to face this way) not one of them have turned from facing their amps this entire time. In fact, with the exception of the drummer, I don't think any of them have moved an inch since they started playing.


There's one more band on besides them and the touring package. They look to want to use their own drum kit, but that would be a hassle to switch everything around after the current one has already been set and sound checked. We'll see how that goes.





That band (who's name I forget already) ended up positioning themselves in front of our gear. They were only a two piece, so the setup was quick. They were, interesting. It was close to doom when they started out, but then they continued in a direction that I didn't really understand. It wasn't that it was necessarily bad, just certain parts, in my opinion, didn't really fit together. I lost the feeling of fluidity.



On our way back to Melbourne to sleep at the same place we did last night. Stoked about that. I think we're stopping at lord of the fries again before we sleep. I'm stoked about that too.


To cap off the night, here's a picture of Matt Cook with his jacket stylishly inside-out.



...and a blurry picture of Matt with a crate on his head.



No comments: