3.01.2009

My problem with big stages, and the fact that I suck.

Just got home from a show in Ithaca, NY. We were incredibly late, and when we showed up, quite possibly the worst band I've ever heard (well...not true, I've heard worse) was playing. It was a drum-bass duo. Anyway...it was like, not hipster city, but it was extremely not anything cool. I counted about 7 mo hawks though, circle pits galore, and tons of girls, that had to be college freshman from the area, but looked like they were twelve.

On to the performance...

They had a huge stage, with drum riser. Earlier I was looking on the wall of posters they had there. I guess it was there 'claim to fame' wall with all the big time acts they've had play there. Warrant had played there. That was the only name I recognized on their wall, though I didn't really look for very long, cause I had to chuckle a bit and walk away when I saw a ridiculous band photo from some dudes named "Chocolate Fudge." Standing there looking' like they're all that, when they just look like 80's douches.

The room was too big, the stage was too high, the sound was too crap, the monitors had nothing in them, so I couldn't actually follow anything Matt or Dave were doing. I ended up skipping an entire phrase in our first song (we played 'Red in Tooth & Claw'), but that's not really cause of the sound, but because some douche bag with long blond hair and a douchey bandanna kept trying to reach up the stage and unplug Matt's pedal board. Matt then kicked him in the face. When he failed at that, he moved to the side of the stage, and attempted to unplug his guitar amps. Matt then kicked him in the face again. When the kid tried the pedal board again, I saw Matt move to the front of the stage, and the kid tried to trip him by grabbing his legs. Matt bent down to say something to him, which I later found out it was "I will kick you in the face again if you don't stop." or something like that.

...Anyway, long story short, the people that stayed for us to play (cause we played last, and we all now how that goes) had fun and bought stuff. We played horribly, but I kicked the s**t outta my drums, so I was in a good mood. Gotta get the vent system in the van checked out...because on cold drives, the windows actually frost up with ice on the inside, crazy, and I think the transmission is about to fall out of the bottom of the van, but that's just a hunch.

g'night.

No comments: